Whether your loved one is currently residing in an assisted living community, or they are still living independently, if the need arises for memory care in an assisted living setting, you’ll want to know as much as possible about the care centers you and your loved one are considering. There are several types of questions you should ask as you explore your different options:
Memory Care Medical Staff Questions
You want to be sure that your parent or spouse is going to receive the highest level of care at all times. Some questions you should ask regarding the medical professionals and memory care staff are:
- Do you have a Medical Director, and if so, how is that person involved in the day-to-day care of residents?
- How many RNs and LPNs are on staff, and are they available 24/7?
- Is the staff:patient ratio consistent across all shifts? This ratio will change based on the number of residents in the memory care program at a given time.
- What medical services are available on-site?
- What are the credentials of the staff, and do they complete regular continuing education?
Amenities and Activities
Just because your spouse or loved one needs memory care services, their interests, hobbies, and favorite activities shouldn’t be neglected. In fact, social engagement and participation in daily activities is essential for those with Alzheimer’s or dementia to prevent or slow mental decline. It is important to know what types of activities and amenities are available, and you can find out by asking these questions:
- Ask about the availability of activities or hobbies that are particularly interesting to your loved one
- What is the typical schedule of daily activities?
- Are there opportunities for group outings?
- Are your rooms private or semi-private?
- What other opportunities for social interaction will my loved one have?
Procedures, Policies, and Costs
If your loved one is entering a memory care program within an assisted living community, you’ll want clarification about how things work in the event of an emergency and the costs associated with additional services or amenities. Ask these questions to become fully informed:
- What is included in the cost of residing in the community? For example: cable, internet, medication, level of care, activities, transportation, and other amenities.
- Are there additional costs associated with memory care?
- What types of medical services cannot be provided here?
- Explain what happens if my loved one has a medical emergency/ER visit.
- How do you handle notifying family members in the event of a medical emergency?
- Can my loved one receive end-of-life care here?
- Can a resident return if they have to leave the community for rehab for a period of time?
- What happens if my loved one is no longer able to get around on their own?
Quality Assisted Living Communities
Of course, you’ll want to ask questions specific to your situation as well, but these questions can help you get an overall idea of what to expect, and the answers you get will help you compare all of the memory care communities you’re considering. At Paramount Senior Living, we make every effort to keep our residents living their best life. Residents who receive our memory care services are treated no differently. In fact, our memory care residents receive special amenities such as a 24/7 emergency call response system, access to an RN 24/7, fully carpeted residences, designated recreational/activity areas, outdoor terraces and courtyards, and monthly Alzheimer’s support groups. Call today to schedule a visit to one of our beautiful locations.